How to Create an Email Address without a Phone Number
All phone numbers are unique and so can be used as personal identifiers. But if personal data security is critical for you, that's just one more reason to create an email without phone verification.
Luckily, there are email services that offer other means of validation.
In this article, you'll find a review of three best services that don't require a phone number, plus tips on improving email management.
Can You Create an Email Address without a Phone Number?
The answer is a resounding "yes."
Depending on your goals for the new address, there are a couple of ways: using email services that don't require a number altogether or creating a disposable account. Let's look into them.
#1. Creating a Temporary Email Address
A temporary email address is a disposable account that doesn't require any personal information to sign up. This inbox is designed to self-destruct after a specific time.
You might benefit from a disposable inbox if:
- You want to find out more about a marketing campaign or newsletter but don't want to give up your real address in case it ends up spamming you with junk.
- You're a programmer who needs a unique account for testing purposes, but you don't want to keep track of them all.
- You want to sign up for a platform or service but only temporarily.
Some platforms that offer temporary email addresses include Temp Mail, TempInbox, and Guerilla Mail. Most importantly, setting up accounts on these platforms does not prompt you to add a phone number.
#2. Registering with a Service That Offers Other Means of Verification
The other way, using a service that doesn't require a phone number, is more general. Instead, such services:
- Ask you to provide a so-called recovery address (an alternate account where security notifications can be sent)
- Send you a unique recovery code for future use
This brings us to several email services that allow this option. But first, let's see how we came about reviewing these providers.
The Three Email Services That Don't Require Your Phone Number
Here are a few recommendations for the top services reviewed based on the aforementioned criteria.
Tutanota also ranks as one of the world's most secure email account providers. Both regular and business users can benefit from the service's simple interface while taking advantage of its enhanced privacy.
At registration, instead of asking for a phone number or an alternative address, the service provides you with a recovery code.
If you need customization, Tutanota is probably the best option because you can tailor almost everything, from domains and email aliases to inbox rules. It even offers white-label design for the inbox if you need a service for company-wide use.
The service also offers an option to add an encrypted contact form to your website, enabling communication through your company site.
"What makes me really like it is that it is a secure and ad-free email service that automatically encrypts all the mailboxes and address books."— reviewer on G2
- White-label design for your inbox
- Custom domains
- Inbox rules
- Email aliases
- Automatic backups
Tutanota is an entirely secure service with end-to-end encryption and 2FA. The company's anonymous emails also ensure that no personal information or phone numbers are required to register.
Given where Tutanota is incorporated - Germany - it complies with the European Union's strict laws that guarantee safety and privacy online.
Tutanota has a constantly-growing knowledge base where users can find resources and solutions to any issues they may run into.
Additionally, there is an FAQ page where users can find answers to common issues and problems they might encounter.
Unfortunately, the service doesn't offer direct contact with customer support via email or chat.
Tutanota comes in three price categories:
- Free plan. Allows only a single user with storage capped at 1 GB
- Premium plan. Allows users to add a different address/user, with a 1 GB storage cap, for only €1 per month; users can also have five aliases, unlimited searches, a custom domain, and support via email.
- Teams plan. At €4 per month, users can increase the storage to 10 GB and connect additional users for €2 each.
You can also increase the storage separately at €2 for 10 GB, €10 for 100 GB, and €50 for 1 TB on any account.
"Love the features, love the proactive customer support, love the pricing. Tutanota would likely have retained me if a robust email import tool had been present at the time."— reviewer on Capterra
ProtonMail is one of the world's largest and most secure email providers and is available on all major platforms, including iOS and Android.
It offers industry-leading end-to-end encryption, IMAP/SMTP Bridge, and a no-logs policy to guarantee your privacy and security.
At registration, you can use a recovery email instead of phone number verification.
ProtonMail is also one of the most customizable email services in the market today with its growing catalog of themes and layouts, whose functionality and usability are further enhanced by its keyboard shortcuts. Though, it still doesn't satisfy all tastes:
"Easy and smooth setup (up and running within minutes). Not such a fan of the overall layout (visually, not from an operational or functionality standpoint)." — reviewer on Capterra
- Free virtual private network (VPN), ProtonVPN
- Migration tools
- Quick filters
- Custom labels
- Short domain addresses
ProtonMail is based in Switzerland, where all user data for registered corporations is protected by the Swiss Federal Data Protection Act (DPA) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection Ordinance (DPO). Combined, these offer some of the most robust privacy protections globally for both corporations and individuals.
"I think it's a great email service overall and I plan to continue to be a customer for the long term."— reviewer on Capterra
Additionally, you can enjoy these services:
- end-to-end encryption
- anonymous email account
- anti-spam and anti-virus protection
- 2FA authentication
ProtonMail recommends using one of three authenticator apps on your mobile phone - Google Authenticator, FreeOTP, or Authy.
There is a dedicated page where you can search for specific keywords and gain free access to resources that will guide you through solving any issues. Alternatively, you can submit forms to ProtonMail's support team, which is usually more helpful.
ProtonMail offers its product and services in four tiers:
- Free. Allows users to open a simple, secure email account (limited to 500 MB of storage)
- Professional. Priced at €6.25 per month and offers the provision to upgrade your email account and safeguard your data; storage space is bumped up to 5 GB, and you gain access to priority support. Users can add and manage multiple user profiles in one account.
- Visionary. For €24 per month, you get six inboxes with admin tools to manage them all. Storage is bumped up to 20 GB, and you get access to ten ProtonVPN connections in addition to the company's priority support. Users can also have unique and personalized email addresses.
- Business. Business accounts start at €6.25 per month; users enjoy additional storage and email accounts. You can also access dedicated support, together with onsite installations, white-labeled themes, and custom integrations.
For its first 14 years, Mailfence existed as ContactOffice, a collaboration suite for organizations like universities. Now, the email service promises an easy email experience for personal and business profiles.
At registration, Mailfence prompts you to give an alternative email account, instead of phone verification, where you'll receive an activation code.
Once you're first signed in, you'll be directed to the home page, where you can customize account settings, add your personal data to the profile, and create email groups.
- Custom domains
- Native calendar
- Contacts manager
- Built-in document editor
- Free of ads, trackers, and spam
- State-of-the-art security features
"They offer a great free plan that includes 500 MB of email and document storage."— reviewer on G2
Mailfence complies to the strict Belgian privacy protection laws. In addition, users can import, publish, and manage OpenPGP keys, thereby gaining complete control and total freedom simply by using the platform.
"I like data security and identity privacy, backed by judicial laws, secure server from external institutions."— reviewer on G2
This bolsters their privacy and security notably since the service also offers encryption, digital signature verification, and no tracking.
Users can get support via email or the company's growing knowledge base, which is updated constantly.
Mailfence offers three price points for its email service:
- Free plan - provides up to 500 MB of regular storage and document storage of up to 500 MB
- Entry plan - For €2.50 a month, it offers ten email aliases, capped at 5 GB, and 12 GB of storage for documents. Users can also get support via both email and telephone.
- Pro plan - For €7.50 a month, it offers increased storage of 20 GB, up to 50 aliases, and document storage of up to 24 GB.
- Ultra plan - For €25 a month, it increases storage to 50 GB, document storage to 70 GB, and aliases to 100.
Why Do You Usually Need a Phone Number When Registering?
There are a few reasons why most services ask for phone verification when signing up for an account:
- To check that you're a real human, not a spammer or a bot
- You have the two-factor authentication turned on
- In case you forget your password
Phone numbers are unique identifiers, and it's okay to use them when registering for different services. So, it makes sense to register with a phone number if it's your first account and you don't have a recovery email to offer. It's also good to use a phone if you're worried about losing a recovery code that services like Tutanota offer.
Manage All of Your Email Accounts Easily with Mailbird!
So, you've identified an email service that works for you and does not require you to add your phone number, but what's next?
The Radicati Group gives an interesting statistic of 1.75 email addresses per user. But this goes to show that, on average, people have more than one account.
Maybe you have more than two?
Managing two or more accounts with a webmail interface can be difficult, especially if email is one of your key communication tools. This is where Mailbird comes in.
Mailbird is an email client that allows you to access and manage any number of email accounts. It's working wonders for Windows desktop users, but we're also in the process of extending support to Mac computers and mobile devices.
The app has a simple and elegant interface that any minimalist is likely to enjoy and powerful features to improve email efficiency. Let's discuss the latter in more detail.
Mailbird features a lot of functionality that helps make email management more simple yet productive, such as:
If you have more than one email account, Mailbird will help you conveniently manage all correspondence from different accounts, from any email provider.
You can do it from a single unified inbox, managing all your correspondence at once, or by easily switching between separate inboxes in the same simple interface.
Coupled with the unified inbox, it makes for a seamless and intuitive user experience since you can handle contacts from different accounts. Once you enable the contacts manager, it will be accessible from the sidebar.
Like with the unified inbox, you can view all your contacts at once or by separate accounts.
Yet another feature that supports Mailbird's unified technology is the calendar. Here, you can view events from all your accounts to make sure none of them overlap.
- Email tracking - You can check whether recipients have already opened your emails to make your follow-ups more relevant.
- Snoozing - You can add a timer to outgoing emails that need to be postponed.
- Attachment search - Sift through all your email attachments to find the right one using Mailbird's advanced filters and visual search.
- In-line reply - Make sure recipients know which bits of an email you're replying to.
- Tagging - @ tag email contacts right in an email's body.
Mailbird's app integration is another productivity-enhancing feature. Currently, supported apps include Dropbox, Google Calendar, Asana, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter. The same extends to the platform's multi-language support, with support for 17 languages from around the world.
Human customer support
Mailbird also offers customer support via email for any questions or issues that aren't covered in our help center.
You can start by trying all these features for free now and choose your plan later.
Signing into your email account from either requires the same general steps
With the growing need for privacy and anonymity, it is essential to not simply give out your phone number to any platform you sign up for. But you can easily set up an email account today without having to release such private information.
There are plenty of services that offer email without phone verification. Providers like ProtonMail, Tutanota, and Mailfence ensure your privacy through other means.
But once you set up a new email account, where do you go from there?
You can further enhance your productivity by pairing your email address with an email client such as Mailbird for a great user experience. Mailbird offers an abundance of useful features to make email management more convenient, all encompassed in a neat and intuitive interface.
This way, you can enjoy the convenience and efficiency of Mailbird, along with the safety, privacy, and anonymity that comes with your preferred email service.